Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fact-checking queenly records

As I “mind the gap" stepping out of the tube at Victoria Station, I can’t help but think of the eponymous Queen, England’s longest reigning monarch of 63 years. Among female rulers in history only the sitting Queen Elizabeth II, now in her 58th year, comes closest to breaking Victoria’s record. Queen at 18 years of age, Victoria lived till 82. Elizabeth II, on the throne at age 25, is now 84. If genetics hold true, then Elizabeth II has a shot at record-breaking; her “mum,” also Queen Elizabeth, lived till 101.


Four blocks from the station is Eccleston Square, a leafy park surrounded by a high, intricately designed black wrought iron fence with a gate. Across from that neighborhood enclave is the Elizabeth Hotel, a charming bed &breakfast, named after another English queen. Elizabeth I also began her reign at age 25 and ruled for 45 years. I like to think of her as the original “glass ceiling breaker”-- not wanting to share power with a man, Elizabeth I never married. She preferred the moniker “Virgin Queen” and felt that she was “married” to her country. Elizabeth I, Shakespeare’s Queen, would have been hard-pressed to understand 19th century Queen Victoria’s collaborative ruling style. Victoria welcomed her beloved husband’s guidance and she and Prince Albert were parents to nine children.

Across town today, another queen is holding court and is about to add to her records. Serena Williams, ranked number one in the tennis world, is in the finals at Wimbledon and should she win, she will add a fourth Wimbledon and a 13th Grand Slam to her list. Already she has earned more career prize money than any female athlete in any sport in history.

As I drink my tea and spread strawberry jam on my scone in the breakfast room, I find pleasure in reflecting on these four women who made and are still making history.

No comments:

Post a Comment